Merguez Sausages with Scalloped Potatoes
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 731
- Calories from fat: 60%
- Protein: 23g
- Fat: 49g
- Saturated fat: 25g
- Carbohydrate: 49g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Sodium: 1667mg
- Cholesterol: 145mg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh merguez (spicy beef; see notes) or lamb sausages
- 1 onion (about 8 oz.), peeled and slivered lengthwise
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups whipping cream
- About 1 1/4 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- Chopped parsley
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch ovenproof frying pan (with sides at least 2 1/2 in. tall) over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add sausages and turn until browned all over, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium, add onion and garlic to pan, and stir occasionally until slightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Pour in cream and 1 1/4 cups broth; stir in salt and pepper. Add potatoes. (Liquid should just cover; if it doesn't, add more broth.) Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, gently stirring occasionally. Lower heat and barely simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender when pierced, about 20 minutes (do not boil).
- 3. Arrange sausages on potato mixture and transfer pan to a 350° oven. Bake until cream mixture has thickened and is well browned on top and sausages are cooked through (cut to test), 40 to 45 minutes.
- 4. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve potatoes and sausages from pan.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This