- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh merguez (spicy beef; see notes) or lamb sausages
- 1 onion (about 8 oz.), peeled and slivered lengthwise
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups whipping cream
- About 1 1/4 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- Chopped parsley
- calories 731
- caloriesfromfat 60 %
- protein 23 g
- fat 49 g
- satfat 25 g
- carbohydrate 49 g
- fiber 3.3 g
- sodium 1667 mg
- cholesterol 145 mg
How to Make It
In a 10- to 12-inch ovenproof frying pan (with sides at least 2 1/2 in. tall) over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add sausages and turn until browned all over, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium, add onion and garlic to pan, and stir occasionally until slightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Pour in cream and 1 1/4 cups broth; stir in salt and pepper. Add potatoes. (Liquid should just cover; if it doesn't, add more broth.) Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, gently stirring occasionally. Lower heat and barely simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender when pierced, about 20 minutes (do not boil).
Arrange sausages on potato mixture and transfer pan to a 350° oven. Bake until cream mixture has thickened and is well browned on top and sausages are cooked through (cut to test), 40 to 45 minutes.
Sprinkle with parsley. Serve potatoes and sausages from pan.