I love Manchego cheese, so I decided to try these. Delicious! I did use a couple of different ingredients because it was what I had: whole wheat pitas instead of sandwich rounds (which would have been a little thicker) and pepperoni instead of chorizo. The Spanish chorizo at my store was very expensive! Pepperoni worked perfectly as a substitute. And don't confuse Spanish chorizo with Mexican chorizo if you use chorizo! Kids and adults enjoyed these.
Melted Manchego Tortas with Romesco and Chorizo
Spanish flatbreads, or tortas, are a tapas staple. Make these with thin sandwich round halves and a 1 1/4-inch circular cutter. You'll only use 1/4 cup of the romesco, but the remainder makes a great sauce for meats, vegetables, or fish.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 25 Minutes
- Calories: 84
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Carbohydrate: 4.2g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 164mg
- Calcium: 62mg
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
- 2 large bottled roasted red bell peppers (about 4 ounces), drained
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 whole-wheat sandwich rounds (such as Nature's Own)
- 2 ounces Manchego cheese, shaved (about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces Spanish chorizo, cut into 32 (1/16-inch) slices
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Combine first 8 ingredients (through garlic); pulse until blended. Slowly add oil through food chute with food processor on; process until smooth. Set aside 1/4 cup sauce; reserve remaining sauce for another use.
- 3. Split sandwich rounds; cut out 32 (1 1/4-inch) circles using a sharp round cookie cutter. Arrange bread in a single layer on a baking sheet; top evenly with cheese. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven. Top each with 1 slice chorizo, 1/4 teaspoon romesco, and 1 parsley leaf.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note