Melon Sparkler with Tapioca Pearls
Mixing honeydew juice with the fizzy Italian wine Moscato makes a super-refreshing cocktail. Melon balls and chewy tapioca pearls are fun to eat and cute to look at.
More From Food & Wine
Total: 1 Hour
- 1/2 cup black tapioca pearls, (see Note)
- 1 honeydew melon, halved and seeded
- 1 bottle (750 milliliter) Moscato d'Asti, chilled
- In a medium saucepan, cover the tapioca with 5 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the tapioca is chewy and plump, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain and cool under running water. Transfer the tapioca to a medium bowl. Rinse out the saucepan.
- Using melon ballers of different sizes, scoop out 2 cups of melon balls. Chop the remaining melon and transfer to a blender. Puree until smooth. Strain the puree, without pressing on the solids, to extract clear green juice. Add 2 tablespoons of the juice to the tapioca. Refrigerate the remaining juice.
- In the same saucepan, bring 1/2 cup of the Moscato to a boil. Simmer until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 10 minutes. Pour the syrup over the tapioca and refrigerate until chilled, about 15 minutes.
- Spoon the tapioca and melon balls into Champagne flutes and top with the melon juice and chilled Moscato.
Note: Nicely chewy black tapioca pearls are about the size of small marbles. They’re available at bobateadirect.com and amazon.com. Serve the Sparklers with spoons and boba straws (jumbo, extra-wide straws, also available at amazon.com).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note