- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk, scalded
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons Triple Sec
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 2 cups ripe figs, peeled and diced
- 1 (9-inch) graham cracker piecrust
How to Make It
Combine egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar, and salt in a heavy saucepan; mix well. Gradually add scalded milk; cook over low heat 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Soften gelatin in boiling water; add to custard mixture, stirring well. Stir in orange rind and Triple Sec. Set mixture aside to cool.
Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites, whipped cream, and figs into custard mixture. Pour filling into graham cracker piecrust. Chill 2 hours or until set.