This is delicious and SO easy. I used prepared polenta in a tube and broiled the slices for 5 minutes - then topped them with the stew. My husband loved it too and he's not always a fan of meatfree meals. Leftovers were great too- excellent for lunch the next day, I was actually looking forward to leftovers for once!
Mediterranean Vegetable Stew over Soft Polenta
Serve this simple meatless stew with a green salad.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 2/3 cup polenta and about 1 cup stew)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 351
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 17g
- Carbohydrate: 53.6g
- Fiber: 8.6g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 943mg
- Calcium: 375mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups (1/4-inch) slices zucchini
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dry polenta
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) preshredded fresh Parmesan
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and garlic, and sauté 30 seconds. Stir in black pepper, tomatoes, and chickpeas; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While stew cooks, bring 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add polenta, stirring with a whisk. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes or until done, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese. Serve stew over polenta.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This