Photo: Brit Huckabay
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 (32-ounce) package frozen bread dough, thawed
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke heart quarters
- 1 (12-ounce) jar marinated red pepper strips
- 1 (6-ounce) can pitted ripe olives
- 1 pound small fresh mushrooms
- 8 ounces thinly sliced salami
- 8 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 8 ounces thinly sliced cooked ham
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cut 1 bread loaf in half crosswise. Roll out 1 half on a lightly floured surface into a 10-inch circle. Cover, and set aside.
- Press together remaining 1 1/2 dough loaves, and roll out onto a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Fit dough into a 9-inch springform pan, allowing edges to overhang.
- Drain spinach, artichokes, red pepper strips, and olives. Press spinach and red pepper strips between layers of paper towels, and set aside.
- Sauté mushrooms in a nonstick skillet 8 minutes; drain.
- Layer half of salami, mushrooms, and olives in dough-lined pan; top with half of cheese slices. Layer with half of ham, spinach, pepper strips, remaining salami, remaining ham, and artichokes; top with remaining cheese slices.
- Stir together egg and water; brush on overhanging pastry edges. Top torte with remaining pastry round. Fold overhanging edges over top pastry, crimping as necessary, and press to seal. Brush top with remaining egg mixture.
- Bake at 350° on bottom oven rack 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven, and cover with aluminum foil, if necessary, to prevent excessive browning.
- Bake 15 to 20 more minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Remove sides of pan, and cut into wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note