A good, solid recipe--handy for a weekday night deep into tomato season, when you're looking for some variety.
Mediterranean Stuffed Tomatoes
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 5 minutes. To keep the filling from getting mushy, cook the tomatoes right after you've stuffed them.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 tomato with stuffing)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 103
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 8g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 303mg
- Calcium: 39mg
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/2 cup packaged garlic croutons
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat vinaigrette or Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or basil
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Cut tomatoes in half crosswise. Use your finger to push out and discard seeds; use a paring knife to cut out the pulp, leaving 2 shells. Chop pulp, and transfer to a medium bowl. Place hollowed tomatoes, cut sides down, on a paper towel; drain 5 minutes. Add croutons, goat cheese, olives, dressing, and thyme or basil to pulp; mix well. Mound mixture into hollowed tomatoes.
- 3. Place tomatoes on a baking sheet or broiler pan. Broil 4-5 inches from heat until hot and cheese melts (about 5 minutes). Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note