Family loved this one! I cannot believe my sons, 8 and 9, who are habitually suspicious of vegetables, finished this completely. Will definitely make this one again - a keeper for sure!
Mediterranean Stuffed Eggplant
Look for panko, coarse Japanese breadcrumbs, in most supermarkets in the Asian foods section or with other breadcrumbs. Or use regular coarse breadcrumbs. For a browner top, broil the eggplants for about one minute before serving.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 237
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 35.9g
- Fiber: 12.2g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 842mg
- Calcium: 147mg
- 3 medium eggplants
- Cooking spray
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium summer squash, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 1/4 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), divided
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell, and reserve pulp. Place eggplant halves, skin sides down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Chop the reserved eggplant pulp into 1/2-inch pieces. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add reserved eggplant to pan, and sauté 8 minutes or until eggplant begins to brown. Place eggplant in a bowl. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in red and green bell peppers and the next 7 ingredients (through squash); sauté 6 minutes. Return eggplant to pan. Stir in 1 1/4 teaspoons salt and black pepper; sauté for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in feta cheese and 1/4 cup panko. Cool slightly. Spoon about 1 cup eggplant mixture into each eggplant shell.
- Combine remaining 1 cup panko, remaining 1 teaspoon oil, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle panko mixture evenly over stuffed eggplants. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated and tops begin to brown. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note