Family loved this one! I cannot believe my sons, 8 and 9, who are habitually suspicious of vegetables, finished this completely. Will definitely make this one again - a keeper for sure!
Mediterranean Stuffed Eggplant
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 237
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 35.9g
- Fiber: 12.2g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 842mg
- Calcium: 147mg
- 3 medium eggplants
- Cooking spray
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium summer squash, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 1/4 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), divided
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell, and reserve pulp. Place eggplant halves, skin sides down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Chop the reserved eggplant pulp into 1/2-inch pieces. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add reserved eggplant to pan, and sauté 8 minutes or until eggplant begins to brown. Place eggplant in a bowl. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in red and green bell peppers and the next 7 ingredients (through squash); sauté 6 minutes. Return eggplant to pan. Stir in 1 1/4 teaspoons salt and black pepper; sauté for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in feta cheese and 1/4 cup panko. Cool slightly. Spoon about 1 cup eggplant mixture into each eggplant shell.
- Combine remaining 1 cup panko, remaining 1 teaspoon oil, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle panko mixture evenly over stuffed eggplants. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated and tops begin to brown. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables