Great flavor. Not crazy about the soggy texture, though. I baked for an extra 15 minutes and it was still pretty soggy...might cut out an egg or some of the milk to firm it up a bit...worth playing around with.
Mediterranean Spinach Strata
Fresh tomatoes and spinach pair well with nutty Asiago and tangy feta cheese in this make-ahead dish that's great for lunch, brunch or dinner. Substitute Parmesan, Romano, or sharp provolone cheese for the Asiago, if you prefer. Presliced mushrooms and packaged spinach provide a head start. A single serving of this strata contains about a third of your daily calcium needs
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 297
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 17.9g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 720mg
- Calcium: 332mg
- 2 (8-ounce) loaves French bread baguette, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 (7-ounce) bags baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3 cups thinly sliced plum tomato (about 1 pound)
- 1 (4-ounce) package crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Asiago cheese, divided
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 1 bag of spinach; cook 3 minutes or until spinach wilts. Add remaining spinach; cook 3 minutes or until spinach wilts. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Place half of bread slices in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread spinach mixture over bread. Top with tomato slices; sprinkle evenly with feta and half of Asiago cheese. Arrange remaining bread slices over cheese. Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, milk, and remaining ingredients, stirring well with a whisk. Pour over bread; sprinkle with remaining Asiago cheese. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover strata; bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note