I am putting together a book of my favorite recipes, and I went searching specifically for this one. My whole family loves it. Nice variation on spaghetti.
Photo: Howard L. Puckett; Styling: Fonda Shaia
Sweet spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg balance the pungent feta and Parmesan cheeses to give a bold, intriguing flavor to a familiar meat-and-pasta dish.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups).
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 365
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 22.2g
- Carbohydrate: 47.4g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 709mg
- Calcium: 281mg
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs, divided
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups cooked spaghetti (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
- Fresh oregano sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the first 4 ingredients, and sauté 5 minutes. Add the wine and next 6 ingredients (wine through tomatoes). Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until thick.
- Combine the flour, milk, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg in a medium sauce-pan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook for 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove milk mixture from heat. Stir in feta cheese, 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, and egg.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs in a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Place 2 cups spaghetti in casserole, and top with 2 cups beef mixture and 1 cup sauce. Repeat layers. Combine 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs, and sprinkle over the casserole. Bake casserole at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh oregano, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note