I love these and make them all the time. As others have noted, they don't hold together well -- adding an extra egg white might be helpful. They freeze well too!
Mediterranean Salmon Cakes with Cucumber Sauce
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Lydia E. DeGaris
Bring the flavors of the Mediterranean to your table with these healthy Salmon Cakes topped with fresh Cucumber Sauce. Add more hot sauce to your liking for a spicier patty.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 salmon cakes and 1/4 cup sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 243
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 18g
- Carbohydrate: 28.2g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 399mg
- Calcium: 221mg
- 2/3 cup diced cucumber
- 2/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Salmon cakes:
- 1 (14.75-ounce) can red salmon, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (about 2 (1-ounce) slices)
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- To prepare sauce, combine cucumber, yogurt, dill, and garlic in a small bowl.
- To prepare salmon cakes, remove bones and skin from salmon. Place chickpeas in a medium bowl; partially mash chickpeas with a fork. Stir in salmon, breadcrumbs, and olives. Combine parsley and next 5 ingredients (parsley through egg whites) in a small bowl; stir into salmon mixture. Divide mixture into 12 equal portions, shaping each into a 3/4-inch-thick patty.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 6 patties; cook 4 minutes. Carefully turn patties over, and cook 4 minutes or until golden. Repeat procedure with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining patties. Serve with sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes