Mediterranean Rice Salad with Seared Tuna
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup black olives, such as Kalamata, halved and pitted
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tuna steaks, about 1/2 inch thick (1 1/2 pounds in all)
- 1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the rice until just done, about 10 minutes. Drain. Rinse with cold water. Drain thoroughly.
- 2. In a medium glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the rice, onion, tomato, bell pepper, olives, parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme. In a small glass or stainless-steel bowl, whisk the vinegar with the mustard, garlic, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper. Add the 1/3 cup oil slowly, whisking. Toss this vinaigrette with the rice.
- 3. Rub the tuna with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Heat a grill pan or large heavy frying pan over moderately high heat. Put the tuna in the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Turn and cook until done to your taste, about 2 minutes longer for medium rare. Mound the rice on plates and top with the tuna. :
- Wine Recommendation: Look for a light, refreshing white wine from the Mediterranean. Either a bottle of the delightful albariño from Galicia in Spain or a Côtes de Gascogne from southwestern France would be appropriate.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes