Excellent! I cut the spinach into small strips and sauteed it with the red peppers and garlic. Other than that, I didn't change the recipe. (I did this because I have become accustomed to my sister's complaint that raw spinach makes her sick.) At any rate, this is really incredibly tasty. I am marinating beef kebabs, and I've got asparagus with olive oil and salt waiting for the grill. This salad is going to be an outstanding accompaniment. I can't wait to eat this meal! (Oh, and of course, there will be heated pita bread and labne with cucumbers (which will be good on both this rice salad and the meat).) Yum!!! (Finally, and by the way, I used brown basmati. It's excellent.)
Mediterranean Rice Salad
The bright flavors of this Mediterranean Rice Salad make it the perfect side dish for anything grilled.
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 289
- Calories from fat: 47%
- Protein: 5.6g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Sodium: 793mg
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chopped spinach leaves
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. In a medium saucepan, bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add 1/2 tsp. salt and the rice. Turn heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, oregano, pepper, pepper flakes, and remaining tsp. salt.
- 3. Add rice to dressing and toss to combine. Add spinach, toss, and let sit until no longer steaming, about 20 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Serve at room temperature or cold.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads