This is the best mussel dish I have ever had and all of my guests agree. However, it is VERY time consuming to make. The glazed Celery root and braised onions required a lot of prep, just cutting the celery root and peeling the pearl onions is challenging. There is a lot of reduction but this gives the flavor to the base which is more like a seafood stew. I always double the recipe and put half of the glazed celery root with the braised onions in the freezer and for another meal I throw in some shrimp and put it over pasta. If you make this all at once it takes well over 2 hours so usually I make the celery root and braised onion the day before. Then when my guests arrive I basically put everything together, cook the mussels, serve a salad, and have plenty of sour dough bread. It is a delicious and very filling meal.
Mediterranean Mussels with Celery Root and Pearl Onions
More From Coastal Living
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced shallots
- 30 flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup dry vermouth
- 3 cups fish broth
- 36 mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Glazed Celery Root
- Braised Pearl Onions
- 1/4 cup preserved lemon, minced*
- 30 celery leaves
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 slices toasted sourdough bread, rubbed with a halved garlic clove
- 1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic and shallots; sauté 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2. Add parsley and vermouth; cook 1 minute or until vermouth has almost evaporated.
- 3. Stir in fish broth, and bring to a boil. Add mussels; cover and cook 2 to 4 minutes or until mussels open. (Discard any that do not.)
- 4. Reduce heat to low; stir in butter and next 6 ingredients. To serve, place 1 piece of bread into each of 4 shallow bowls. Spoon mussels over bread.
- *Preserved lemon is available at specialty markets. If unavailable, substitute 2 teaspoons lemon zest and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This