- 1 cup Mahatma® or Carolina® Whole Grain Brown Rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, snipped
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat Italian Balsamic dressing, divided
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups broccoli florets, blanched and drained
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 1 cup mild reduced fat Provolone (or Cheddar cheese), shredded
- 1 package (12 oz.) frozen green peas, thawed
How to Make It
Prepare rice as directed. Let stand for 5 minutes to cool.
In non-stick skillet, heat oil and add mushrooms. Sauté stirring frequently until mushrooms are browned and all liquid has evaporated.
Combine rice with mushrooms and chives. Gently mix 1/2 cup dressing with rice-mushroom mixture. Place one-half of rice mixture in bottom of large glass serving bowl. Layer broccoli, red peppers, and green onions. Drizzle 1/2 cup dressing over vegetables. Top with remaining rice mixture.
Layer peas, tomatoes, and drizzle with remaining 1/2 cup dressing. Top with cheese.
This salad can be prepared early in the day or the day before and refrigerated until ready to use.