This was very good and I will make it again. I only used three peppers since I wanted a higher stuffing to pepper ratio. Also, I used fresh mint but dried herbs for everything else since that is what I had on hand.
Mediterranean Lamb- and Couscous-Stuffed Peppers
Stuff brightly colored bell pepper halves with a Mediterannean-inspired lamb and couscous filling. This dish is perfect for a light summer supper.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 498
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 6.7g
- Carbohydrate: 65g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Sodium: 134mg
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- 4 red, green, and/or yellow bell peppers (2 lb. total), rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh mint leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 ounces ground lamb
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 2/3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups couscous
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Slice bell peppers in half lengthwise through stems (retain stems) and remove seeds. Place halves, cut side down, in a 12- by 17-inch baking pan. Bake in a 450º regular or convection oven until lightly browned and tender when pierced, 13 to 18 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat, stir onions, garlic, thyme, mint, and rosemary in olive oil until onions are limp and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Add ground lamb and 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Stir until lamb is browned and crumbly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4. Stir in broth, couscous, and remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then cover and remove from heat; let stand until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender to bite, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in parsley; add salt to taste.
- 5. Turn pepper halves over; fill each with about 2/3 cup lamb mixture. Sprinkle feta cheese evenly over filling. Bake until cheese is slightly melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer peppers to a platter.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes