I've made this recipe twice now. I add the juice from half a lemon on top of the recipe's lemon zest, extra capers and salt to taste. This last time, I used a homemade challah bun...not the same as the ciabatta bread. My own preference, but the garlic-rubbed, toasted ciabatta bread really makes this recipe. Halibut is a great but expensive fish. Use cod or any inexpensive white fish. It is flaked fish in mayo, after all, so the value of the halibut is lost...just my opinion. I used cod the first time and Mahi-mahi the last time. Both tasted great. I will be doing this one again and again. Great recipe.
Mediterranean Halibut Sandwiches
Mediterranean-style meals, such as Mediterranean Halibut Sandwiches, have been shown to reduce the risk for heart disease, as they generally include foods with healthy monounsaturated fats. This halibut sandwich is a great example.
More From Health
- Calories: 419
- Fat: 12.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 24g
- Carbohydrate: 51g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 42mg
- Iron: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 793mg
- Calcium: 0.0mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 (6-ounce) halibut fillets, skinned
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 (14-ounce) loaf ciabatta bread, ends trimmed, split in half horizontally
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and mashed
- Grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 2 packed cups (2 ounces) arugula
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. Spray a small baking dish with cooking spray; add halibut and season with a pinch each salt and pepper; rub with 1 teaspoon oil. Bake 10-15 minutes, until cooked through and the flesh flakes easily with a fork. Cool.
- 3. Remove some bread from top half of loaf. Brush cut sides with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bake on a baking sheet 6-8 minutes, until golden. Rub toasted surfaces with garlic.
- 4. In medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, parsley, capers, and lemon zest. Add fish, flaking and mixing with fork. Spoon onto bottom half of bread and top with arugula. Add top of bread and cut into 4 sandwiches.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes