I really enjoyed the flavors in this dish, along with the presentation. I also used red pepper flakes to give it a bit more heat. Hubbie wasn't quite as enthusiastic...he thought it needed more spice.
Mediterranean Grilled Vegetable Tagine
"The idea for this dish came from a favorite restaurant offering. I changed it to fit what I had on hand at the time. I serve the tagine over couscous and top it with the vegetables. My family loves it." CLReader.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 462
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 15.8g
- Carbohydrate: 95.5g
- Fiber: 13.9g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 4.7mg
- Sodium: 574mg
- Calcium: 123mg
- 1 small red onion
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, quartered
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 3/4 cups chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted green olives
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 small red potatoes, quartered
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup uncooked couscous
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Cut red onion into 4 wedges, leaving root end intact. Place red onion, bell peppers, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon oil in a zip-top plastic bag. Seal bag; toss well to coat.
- Prepare grill.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add cumin, fennel, and cinnamon; sauté 1 minute. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup water, olives, raisins, black pepper, tomatoes, and potatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.
- Remove bell peppers and red onion from bag, discarding marinade; place on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 10 minutes, turning frequently.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Serve tomato mixture over couscous. Top with grilled bell peppers and red onions; sprinkle with pine nuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note