Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Fonda Shaia
This recipe makes 12 (4-inch) focaccias or two (12-inch) focaccias. Kosher salt looks and tastes better, but regular table salt can be used in a pinch.
Yield: 1 dozen
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 261
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 8g
- Carbohydrate: 43.2g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 341mg
- Calcium: 82mg
- 5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 package quick-rise yeast
- 1 1/2 cups very warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup pimento-stuffed olives, halved
- 1 (7-ounce) bottle roasted red bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 5 cups flour, cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, rosemary, and yeast in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until blended. With processor on, slowly add water and 2 tablespoons oil through food chute, and process until the dough forms a ball. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes), and add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 10 minutes. (Dough will not double in bulk.)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Punch dough down; turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 12 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 4-inch circle. Place on 2 large baking sheets coated with cooking spray and dusted with cornmeal. Cover and let rise 40 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Uncover dough. Gently brush dough with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Make indentations in top of dough using the handle of a wooden spoon or your fingertips. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper; arrange olives and bell peppers as desired on each circle. Bake at 450° 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from baking sheets; cool on wire racks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads