Mediterranean Calamari Tacos
Photo: Leigh Beisch; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 457
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 61g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Sodium: 577mg
- Cholesterol: 130mg
- 1 1/2 pounds calamari tubes and tentacles
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 12 to 14 corn tortillas* (5 to 6 in.), warmed
- Lemon Aioli
- Fried Caper and Orange Slaw
- 1. Preheat oven to 200°. Cut calamari tubes into 1/2-in. rings; pat calamari mostly dry. Mix flours, cayenne, and salt in a bowl.
- 2. Heat 1 1/2 in. oil in a 5- to 6-qt. pan over medium-high heat to 380°. Toss one-quarter of calamari at a time in flour to coat, shaking off excess. With a slotted spoon, lower calamari into oil and cook until golden (adjust heat to maintain 380°), 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Keep warm in oven as you fry remaining calamari.
- 3. Smear each tortilla with about 1 tbsp. aioli, then fill with calamari and slaw. Add more sauce if you like.
- *If tortillas are very thin, buy double the amount and stack 2 per taco.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per taco with 1 tbsp. sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes