Yield: Makes 12 appetizer servings
More From Southern Living
Chill: 1 Hour
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/4 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 (7.5-ounce) cans refrigerated biscuits
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil
- Toppings: salsa and sour cream
- Cook ground beef and sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until mixture crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain and set aside, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Sauté onion in hot drippings 5 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms; sauté 2 minutes.
- Return beef mixture to skillet; stir in tomato sauce and Cajun seasoning. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Cool completely. Stir in cheese. Cover and chill thoroughly.
- Roll biscuits into 4-inch circles on a lightly floured surface. Spoon 1 tablespoon beef mixture in center of each circle; brush edges with egg. Fold edges over, pressing with a fork to seal. Place on baking sheets, and cover with a damp cloth. Chill up to 2 hours, if desired.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch into a Dutch oven. Fry empanadas in hot oil, in batches, 30 seconds on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels; serve with desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes