Meaty Cheese Corn Bones
Photo: Marge Perry; Treats: David Bonom and Marge Perry
- 1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup stone ground cornmeal
- 1/4 cup brewers yeast
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 large shallow baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2. Combine the flour, cornmeal, brewers yeast and dry milk in a medium bowl. Stir in the cheddar cheese. Whisk together the broth, egg and oil in a separate bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir with a spoon or rubber spatula until a rough dough forms. Knead the dough in the bowl 5-6 times until it comes together.
- 3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out to a 1/4-inch thickness. With a 3-inch dog bone or cat shaped cookie cutter, cut out treats and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Press all the scraps together, kneading once or twice, then roll out to 1/4-inch thickness and cut out more treats; repeat if necessary.
- 4. Bake treats until lightly browned and fairly hard, rotating the pans from top to bottom once, about 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely; biscuits will harden as they cool. Store in an airtight container.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Meaty Cheese Corn Bones Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes
- PUBLICATION: MyRecipes