Meatloaf (ground beef and ground turkey breast)
"Meatloaf makeover makes healthier meal" by Rocco DiSpirito, AP. Calories are cut by using kamut, a puffed brown-rice cereal and mushrooms to bulk up the dish. Kamut has more protein, is higher in good fats, vitamins and minerals than wheat. Recipe published in the Winston-Salem Journal: November 2, 2011.
Stand: 5 Minutes
Process : 20 Minutes
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 6 ounce(s) cremini mushroons
- 1 cup(s) puffed kamut cereal (or puffed brown-rice cereal)
- 1/3 cup(s) fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoon(s) low-sugar ketchup, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 8 ounce(s) 96 percent lean ground beef
- 4 ounce(s) 99 percent fat-free ground turkey breast
- 1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 2. Place the mushrooms in a food processor, then pulse until they are finely chopped. Scrape the mushrooms into a large mixing bowl. Add the kamut and broth to the processor, then process until the kamut is coarsely crushed.
- 3. To the bowl of mushrooms, add the crushed kamut and broth, egg white, garlic, 2 tablespoons of the ketchup, the salt and pepper. Stir until well mixed. Add the ground beef and ground turkey, then use your hands to mix well.
- 4. Spread meat mixture evenly in a nonstick loaf pan. Spread the remaining 2 tablespoons of ketchup evenly over the top.
- 5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the meatloaf reaches 165 degrees. Remove from the oven and carefully pour off excess liquid from the pan, using a spatula to hold the meatloaf in the pan while pouring. Let the meatloaf stand for 5 minutes. Slice into 4 servings.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note