- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread, torn into pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground lamb
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced seeded pickled jalapeño peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 1/4 cup no-salt-added tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeño pepper liquid
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 cups hot cooked couscous
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh mint
- calories 387
- caloriesfromfat 0.0 %
- fat 7.4 g
- satfat 2.5 g
- monofat 2.8 g
- polyfat 0.9 g
- protein 29.6 g
- carbohydrate 47 g
- fiber 2.3 g
- cholesterol 110 mg
- iron 3.5 mg
- sodium 655 mg
- calcium 47 mg
How to Make It
Place bread in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup. Combine breadcrumbs, lamb, and next 5 ingredients (through egg) in a bowl. Shape into 36 (1 1/4-inch) meatballs.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add one-third of meatballs; cook 1 minute, shaking pan to brown on all sides. Transfer meatballs to a 3 1/2-or 4-quart slow cooker. Repeat procedure twice with remaining meatballs.
Combine chutney and next 4 ingredients (through chopped mint) in a bowl; pour over meatballs. Cover and cook on LOW for 2 hours. Serve meatballs and sauce over couscous. Sprinkle with thinly sliced mint.
To ensure that you get a lean product, ask the butcher to grind a lean boneless leg of lamb.