The meatballs were very bland. Will not make again.
Meatball Vegetable Soup
"When I serve this soup to my 7-year-old," says Sunset reader Cristina Gonzalez, now of Fredericksburg, VA, "we talk about how his Mexican abuelito [grandfather] and I ate it growing up in L.A., and how he's eating it now." She changed out the original beef for turkey. The flavors are very gentle, making this a great family dish.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 277
- Calories from fat: 42%
- Protein: 29g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 9.9g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sodium: 449mg
- Cholesterol: 174mg
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- About 2 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup cold cooked white rice
- 1. Heat broth, carrots, and celery in a medium pot, covered, over high heat until boiling. Meanwhile, make meatballs.
- 2. Combine egg, cumin, 2 tsp. oregano, and the salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir in turkey and rice to blend well. Shape meat into 1 1/2-in. balls and set on a tray.
- 3. Lower meatballs into soup with a spoon. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat and cook, covered, until carrots are very tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in remaining oregano.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note