I probably shouldn't review these because I altered the prep, though used all the exact same ingredients. I opted to shape the meat into patties vs. balls (less messy to eat) and saute the onion and pepper in a skillet, foregoing the need to peel the pepper. I also toasted the split hoagie rolls in the toaster vs. under the broiler. They were just ok, flavor-wise. I think the meat could definitely use some flavor-boosting - maybe some red pepper flakes next time. Love the fresh mozzarella though!
More From Cooking Light
Total: 29 Minutes
- Calories: 423
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 6.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 25.7g
- Carbohydrate: 44.3g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 100mg
- Iron: 4.1mg
- Sodium: 708mg
- Calcium: 107mg
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 12 ounces ground sirloin (90% lean)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- 2 yellow bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 1/3 cups lower-sodium marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup sliced onion
- 4 (2-ounce) hoagie sandwich buns
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Thinly sliced basil (optional)
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl; mix gently. Working with damp hands, gently shape beef mixture into 16 meatballs. Arrange meatballs in a single layer on a heavy-duty baking sheet coated with cooking spray, leaving 6 inches of open space on one end. Place bell pepper halves, skin sides up, on open space on pan. Broil 6 inches from heat for 7 minutes, turning meatballs once. Remove pan from oven. Place peppers in a small paper bag; fold to close tightly. Let stand for 10 minutes. Remove peppers from bag. Peel and slice into 1/4-inch-thick strips.
- 3. Bring marinara sauce to a simmer in a large skillet over medium-low heat; add meatballs, tossing to coat. Keep warm.
- 4. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion slices; cook 4 minutes on each side or until charred. Remove onion from pan.
- 5. Coat insides of buns with cooking spray, and broil 2 minutes or until toasted. Top each bun with 4 meatballs and 1/3 cup sauce. Divide peppers, onions, and cheese evenly among sandwiches; broil sandwiches 2 minutes or until bubbly and browned. Garnish with basil, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note