- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 3/4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup cubed potato
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
How to Make It
Combine ground chuck, breadcrumbs, minced onion, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper, mixing well. Shape mixture into 1 1/2-inch meatballs; brown in oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain off drippings.
Combine meatballs, water, tomato paste, remaining salt, thyme, garlic, and bay leaf; cover and simmer 30 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients; cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaf.
Serve stew immediately in individual soup bowls.