Meatball and Barley Soup
Community Recipe from
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 whole(s) medium carrots, peeled, diced
- 2 stalk(s) celery diced
- 1 cup(s) onion diced
- 3 clove(s) garlic, finely diced
- 6 cup(s) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cup(s) barley
- 1 pound(s) ground pork
- 3/4 cup(s) shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 1 can(s) 15.5 oz cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 8 cup(s) roughly chopped escarole
- 1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and onion; cook 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add broth, 2 cups water and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 25 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, mix together ground pork, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, the parsley, 1/4 tsp of the salt and 1/4 tsp of the pepper. Roll into 30 meatballs, about 1 tbsp each.
- 3. Drop meatballs into soup. Stir in beans. Return to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Stir in escarole and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan, 11/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Ladle into bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan, if desired.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by DebbieHaguewood and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Meatball and Barley Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews