- 5 pounds ground chuck
- 6 medium onions, diced
- 5 large celery ribs, diced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 (26-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (12-ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (12-ounce) bottles chili sauce
- 2 (12-ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 4 cups water
- 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
How to Make It
Cook first 3 ingredients in an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain well, and return to stockpot.
Add crushed tomatoes and remaining ingredients to stockpot; reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring often, 1 hour. Remove from heat, and cool. Pour into hot sterilized jars, and seal. Refrigerate up to 3 days, or freeze sauce in heavy-duty zip-top plastic bags up to 3 months (thaw in refrigerator).