Delicious, from the toasty rye bread to the childhood taste of meatloaf, and the just-sweet-enough caramelized onions. I loved how much celery and bell pepper there was, to keep this tasting fresh. A perfect bite. Served with corn on the cob.
Meat Loaf Burgers with Caramelized Onions
Meat loaf is shaped into individual burgers that are just as comforting as their namesake. The burgers are delicate, so take extra care when flipping them.
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 419
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 13.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 23.1g
- Carbohydrate: 51.8g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Iron: 4.2mg
- Sodium: 906mg
- Calcium: 92mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 1/2 cups vertically sliced red onion (about 2 medium onions)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup crushed whole wheat crackers (about 20 crackers)
- 1/3 cup ketchup, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 large egg
- 12 (1 1/4-ounce) slices rye bread, toasted
- Prepare grill or broiler.
- To prepare onions, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sauté 12 minutes or until golden brown. Stir in sugar and vinegar; cook 30 seconds. Remove from pan.
- To prepare burgers, heat pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and celery; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
- Combine the bell pepper mixture, crackers, 1/4 cup ketchup, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, beef, and egg in a large bowl. Divide mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Place patties on a grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray; cook 5 minutes. Carefully turn patties over; brush with remaining ketchup. Cook 5 minutes or until done.
- Place 1 patty on each of 6 bread slices. Top each patty with 1/4 cup onion mixture and 1 bread slice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches