Delicious, from the toasty rye bread to the childhood taste of meatloaf, and the just-sweet-enough caramelized onions. I loved how much celery and bell pepper there was, to keep this tasting fresh. A perfect bite. Served with corn on the cob.
Meat Loaf Burgers with Caramelized Onions
Randy Mayor; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 419
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 13.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 23.1g
- Carbohydrate: 51.8g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Iron: 4.2mg
- Sodium: 906mg
- Calcium: 92mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 1/2 cups vertically sliced red onion (about 2 medium onions)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup crushed whole wheat crackers (about 20 crackers)
- 1/3 cup ketchup, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 large egg
- 12 (1 1/4-ounce) slices rye bread, toasted
- Prepare grill or broiler.
- To prepare onions, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sauté 12 minutes or until golden brown. Stir in sugar and vinegar; cook 30 seconds. Remove from pan.
- To prepare burgers, heat pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and celery; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
- Combine the bell pepper mixture, crackers, 1/4 cup ketchup, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, beef, and egg in a large bowl. Divide mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Place patties on a grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray; cook 5 minutes. Carefully turn patties over; brush with remaining ketchup. Cook 5 minutes or until done.
- Place 1 patty on each of 6 bread slices. Top each patty with 1/4 cup onion mixture and 1 bread slice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This