Our picky kids love this, but I found that the crust is actually too thick for us. I add 50% more chicken, add half a bag of frozen veggies (I usually put it in a bigger casserole dish since there's 7 of us), and a bit of herb du provence for extra flavor. Also, I use the low fat cream of chicken to cut calories :)
Maw-Maw's Chicken Pie
This simple recipe gives rise to a golden, cakelike crust that won rave reviews at the tasting table. Try replacing a portion of the chicken with an equal amount of frozen, thawed vegetables, or stir a cup of shredded cheese into the soup mixture. We especially enjoyed the pie with broccoli and Cheddar cheese.
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1. Place chopped chicken in a lightly greased 12- x 8-inch baking dish. Whisk together soup, broth, and cornstarch; pour mixture evenly over chicken.
- 2. Whisk together flour, buttermilk, and butter; spoon batter evenly over chicken mixture.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note