- 6 matzos
- 6 eggs, well beaten
- 2 large apples, unpeeled, cored, and grated
- 1 (17-ounce) can apricot halves, drained
- 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can pineapple tidbits, undrained
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly
How to Make It
Crumble matzos into a large mixing bowl; cover with water. Soak 2 minutes; drain well.
Combine eggs, apple, apricot halves, pineapple, raisins, 3 tablespoons sugar, lemon rind, juice, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Add matzos and 2 tablespoons melted butter, stirring well.
Grease a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish with remaining butter. Spoon fruit mixture into prepared dish.
Combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; mix well. Sprinkle sugar mixture evenly over fruit mixture, and dot with currant jelly. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes or until golden brown.