I made this using turkey gravy instead of the condensed soup and chicken soup instead of the hot water, and it was the best Matzo Farfel Pudding that either my husband or I have ever had. I absolutely would make this again.
Matzo Farfel Pudding
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or shortening
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 ribs)
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained*
- 3 1/2 cups matzo farfel
- 1 cup canned condensed chicken soup
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and celery 11 minutes or until tender. Let cool slightly. Stir in mushrooms and matzo farfel.
- 2. Mix chicken soup and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add to matzo mixture, and blend thoroughly. Stir in 2 cups hot water. Pour into a greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish, and bake at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes or until browned and set.
- *Substitute 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, if desired. Sauté with onion and celery.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note