Love this soup, have made it numerous times. Sometimes I leave out the matzo balls and just use it as a soup base, adding kale, kidney beans, or whatever else is in the fridge. My 20 month old son loves it. Definitely either half the matzo ball recipe or double the liquid.
Matzo Ball Soup
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 263
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 19g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 526mg
- Cholesterol: 192mg
- 1 qt. reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 whole skinned chicken legs (drumstick and thigh)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup club soda
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup dill sprigs
- 1. Put broth, chicken, and 2 cups water in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer 1 hour, skimming fat from broth as it cooks.
- 2. Mix eggs in a large bowl with a fork just to break up a little. Add oil, club soda, matzo meal, pepper, and 1/2 tsp. salt and mix well. Chill, covered, at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- 3. Remove chicken from broth (let broth continue to simmer). Let chicken cool about 15 minutes, then tear meat into shreds and discard bones.
- 4. Shape matzo dough into 1-in. balls using wet hands; add each ball to broth as you go. Cover broth and matzo balls and simmer 30 minutes. Add carrots, onion, celery, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and cook 5 minutes. Stir in chicken and heat until warm, 1 minute. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with dill.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1 1/2-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews