Matzo Ball Soup
More From Southern Living
Total: 4 Hours
- 1 (1-oz.) package fresh dill
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- Kitchen string
- 3 skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts (about 3 lb.)
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 parsnips, thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs
- MATZO BALLS:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Fresh dill sprigs
- 1. Prepare Soup: Tie half of dill and half of parsley in a bunch with kitchen string. Chop remaining dill and parsley to equal 2 tsp. each.
- 2. Bring chicken, next 4 ingredients, dill-parsley bunch, and 3 1/2 qt. water to a boil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; skim any foam with a slotted spoon. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until chicken is tender and falls off the bone.
- 3. Meanwhile, prepare Matzo Balls batter: Whisk together oil, eggs, and 1/4 cup water. Add matzo meal and 1 3/4 tsp. kosher salt; whisk until well blended. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- 4. Remove soup from heat. Skim fat from surface of broth. Remove chicken and celery. Pour broth through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl. Return broth, carrots, and parsnips to Dutch oven, discarding onion and herb bunch. Let chicken, celery, and broth mixture cool 30 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, assemble and cook Matzo Balls: Shape matzo batter into 18 (1-inch) balls (about 1 Tbsp. each), using wet hands. Bring 2 1/2 qt. water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Drop matzo balls into boiling water; return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 30 minutes. Remove matzo balls from water with a slotted spoon.
- 6. Squeeze juice from cooled celery ribs into broth. Discard celery ribs. Skin and bone chicken; shred chicken. Add matzo balls, shredded chicken, lemon juice, kosher salt, and pepper to broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 8 minutes. Stir in reserved dill and parsley; cook 2 minutes. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews