Matzo Ball Soup
Traditional matzo balls use lots of chicken fat. In this recipe, chicken livers are used to bind the matzo meal. You can make the matzo balls ahead of time. To reheat, place them on a baking sheet, cover with foil, and bake in a preheated oven at 250° for about 15 minutes or until heated.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 318
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 10.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Protein: 40.1g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 251mg
- Iron: 5.1mg
- Sodium: 638mg
- Calcium: 34mg
- 8 ounces chicken livers
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large egg whites
- 8 1/2 cups Brown Chicken Stock, divided
- 3/4 cup matzo meal
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 1 pound)
- Rinse chicken livers, and pat dry with paper towels; sprinkle livers with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add livers, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until well browned. Remove livers from pan; place in a food processor.
- Wipe drippings from pan with a paper towel. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; heat over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add egg whites and 1/2 cup stock to food processor with livers. Process until smooth (about 1 minute); transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add onion mixture, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, matzo meal, and nutmeg; stir until well blended. Cover and let stand 10 minutes. Shape mixture into 24 balls (about 1 tablespoon each).
- Bring 8 cups water to a simmer in a large Dutch oven. Add matzo balls; cook 10 minutes. Remove matzo balls with a slotted spoon; keep warm.
- Bring 8 cups stock to a simmer over medium heat. Add chicken and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Ladle 1 1/3 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with 4 matzo balls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note