Matt's Chicken-Fried Steak
Photo: Charles Walton; Styling: Mary Lyn Hill
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds ground round or (1/2-inch-thick) round, sirloin, or flank steak
- 2 to 3 cups soft breadcrumbs*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk**
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- Garnishes: cherry tomato wedges, avocado, fresh cilantro sprigs, sliced red chile pepper
- Cream Gravy (optional)
- Form ground round into 6 patties, or trim any fat from round, sirloin, or flank steak, and cut into 6 equal pieces. Place steak pieces, 1 at a time, between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet.
- Combine breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper in a large shallow dish. Dredge patties or steak pieces in breadcrumb mixture. Dip into buttermilk, and dip again in breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. If desired, add corn tortillas, 1 at a time, and cook until crisp. Drain, pressing between layers of paper towels.
- Add patties or steak to hot oil; cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until crisp. Remove from heat, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings if making Cream Gravy. Drain patties or steak on paper towels.
- Place patties or steak on tortillas, if desired. Top with sauce of your choice, and sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Broil 5 inches from heat (with electric oven door partially open) until cheese melts. Garnish, if desired.
- *1 cup all-purpose flour or 1/4 (15-ounce) box saltine crackers (about 40 crackers), coarsely crushed, may be sustituted for breadcrumbs.
- ** 1/2 cup milk a nd 2 large eggs, stirred together, may be sustituted for buttermilk.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes