- 4 ounces bacon (about 5 slices)
- 3/4 cup cup finely chopped sweet onion (about 3 1/2 oz.)
- 1/2 cup cup finely chopped celery (about 2 1/2 oz.)
- 1/2 cup cup finely chopped carrots (about 2 1/2 oz.)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 ounces rice cereal squares (such as Rice Chex), finely crushed (about 1 2/3 cups)
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons dry onion soup mix (such as Lipton Recipe Secrets)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato chutney
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (white and dark meat)
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°F. Place bacon in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook, turning occasionally, until bacon is crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Cool bacon completely, about 5 minutes, and finely chop. Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely, about 10 minutes.
Whisk together eggs, crushed cereal, milk, onion soup mix, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir together ketchup, tomato sauce, and chutney in a small bowl. Stir 1/2 cup ketchup mixture into egg mixture. Add turkey, and stir well to combine.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and coat with cooking spray. Gently shape meatloaf into 9- x 4-inch rectangle, and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven 40 minutes. Stir together chopped bacon and remaining ketchup mixture; spread over top of meatloaf. Bake until a thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 160°F, about 5 more minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes. Cut into 8 slices.