Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Cumin
Photo: Tina Cornett; Styling: Cindy Manning Barr
The smoky flavor of ground cumin provides flavor surprise to this vegetable classic.
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 2 medium-size purple onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch or shallow 2-quart baking dish; sprinkle with salt and red pepper.
- Bake, covered, at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until potato is tender. Remove from oven. Add syrup and next 3 ingredients; mash, leaving a few lumps. Sprinkle with pecans.
- NOTE: To make ahead, cover and chill after baking. Remove from refrigerator; let stand 30 minutes. Bake at 375º for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Cumin Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables