- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 2 medium-size purple onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
How to Make It
Combine first 3 ingredients in a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch or shallow 2-quart baking dish; sprinkle with salt and red pepper.
Bake, covered, at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until potato is tender. Remove from oven. Add syrup and next 3 ingredients; mash, leaving a few lumps. Sprinkle with pecans.
NOTE: To make ahead, cover and chill after baking. Remove from refrigerator; let stand 30 minutes. Bake at 375º for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.