This is my new sweet potato go to for Thanksgiving. It is just what I hoped it would be; not too sickeningly sweet like most sweet potato side dishes and NO marshmallows! The only substitute I made was use crystallized ginger in place of the powdered ginger.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Autumn Spices
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Heather Chadduck
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 40 Minutes
- 3 pounds medium-size sweet potatoes (about 8 oz. each)
- 1/3 cup peach preserves
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Garnish: crumbled gingersnaps
- 1. Preheat oven to 350° with oven rack 8 inches from heat. Pierce potatoes several times with a fork; place potatoes on oven rack, and place a piece of aluminum foil on the rack below to catch drips. Bake potatoes 40 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly (about 10 minutes).
- 2. Peel potatoes, and press through a ricer or mash with a potato masher until smooth. (Do not use a mixer or food processor.) Stir in preserves and next 9 ingredients until well blended. Spoon sweet potato mixture into a lightly greased 2 1/2-qt. baking dish.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until hot.
- Brought to the table by Sheri Castle (adapted from The New Southern Garden Cookbook).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This