Simply the BEST sweet potato casserole for the holidays! I've made this for years and get requests for more - even from the kids. My nephew loves it for breakfast. It's not too sweet. The marshmallows are the perfect topping. I even make it a day ahead of time and bake it just before serving.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Yield: 12 servings
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 40 large marshmallows
- Cook potatoes with 1/2 teaspoon salt in boiling water to cover in a large Dutch oven 30 minutes or until tender; drain. Cool potatoes slightly; peel and cut into chunks.
- Beat potato, butter, and next 3 ingredients, in batches, at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. (If desired, cover and refrigerate up to 3 days, or freeze up to 1 month. Thaw at least 12 hours in refrigerator.)
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes; top with marshmallows, and bake 15 more minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables