Mashed Potatos with caramelized onion
- 3 1l russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and cut into thin wedges (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup butter or rmargarine, softened
- 2 T snipped fresh sage or 1 tsp dried sage, crushed
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 3.4 cup half-and-half, light cream, or milk
- 1 oz aged white cheddar cheese or cheddar shaved thin with a veggie peeler
- 1. In a large saucepan cook potatoes and 1/2 tsp on the salt, covered, in enough boiling water to cover for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil. sitr in the onion wedges. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring frequently. If necesary, reduce heat to medium-low to prevent overbrowning before onions are tender. Increase heat to medium high and cook about 5 minutes more or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- 3. Mash drained potatoes with a potato masher. Add butter, sage, the remaining 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper. Gradually beat in enough half and half to make mixture light and fluffy.
- 4. Mound potatoes in a serving dish. Top with caramelized onions and cheese shards; serve immediatley.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ChefMo3001 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note