Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese
The additions of sweet, rich caramelized onion and sharp goat cheese take these mashed potatoes from satisfactory to spectacular. We loved them with a grilled beef tenderloin steak.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 133
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Protein: 5.4g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 222mg
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Calcium: 118mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 5 medium)
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 (4-ounce) package goat cheese, cut into cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cook 22 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Add 2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon at a time, as liquid evaporates, scraping pan to loosen browned bits after each addition. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- . While onion cooks, place potato in a Dutch oven, and add water to cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to pan.
- . Place milk in a 1-cup glass measure. Microwave at MEDIUM (50% power) 30 seconds or until warm.
- . Add cheese to potato in pan. Mash potato mixture with a potato masher 3 or 4 times or until cheese melts. Add milk, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper; mash to desired consistency. Stir in reserved onion, and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note