Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips with Crisp Root Vegetable Strips
Photo: Alex Farnum; Styling: Randy Mon
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 178
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 3g
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 24g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Sodium: 462mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 1/2 pounds parsnips, rinsed, scrubbed, and patted dry
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, rinsed, scrubbed, and patted dry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 qts. vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup vegan coconut spread* or vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast*
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Peel parsnips and potatoes, saving peels. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss peels with oil, sage, and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper, and spread out evenly. Bake for 10 minutes, stir, then cook until golden and crisp, stirring another time, 4 to 6 minutes. Keep warm.
- 2. Cut parsnips and potatoes into 2-in. chunks, put in a medium pot with broth, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until parsnips are very tender when pierced, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid.
- 3. Return vegetables to pot with 1 cup broth (save remaining broth for other uses) and beat with a mixer or mash until as smooth as you like. Add coconut spread, yeast, and remaining 3/4 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper; stir well. Transfer to a warm bowl. Top with some of root vegetable strips and serve the rest on the side.
- *Find butterlike coconut spread, such as Earth Balance, as well as nutritional yeast at health-food stores or Whole Foods Market.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables