This was very disappointing. I thought the nutmeg added something to the mashed potatoes, but when they came out they were very watery. Perhaps it is preference, but I prefer my mash potatoes nice and thick.
Mashed Potatoes en Croûte
Photo: Jim Franco; Styling: Leslie Siegel
More From Southern Living
1 Hour, 24 Minutes
- 4 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (17.3-oz.) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Bring 2 qt. salted water to a boil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and next 2 ingredients, and cook 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain potatoes, and discard bay leaves. Mash potatoes with a potato masher until soft and fluffy.
- 2. Microwave butter and cream in a small microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 minute. Stir until smooth; add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir butter mixture into mashed potatoes. Stir in egg yolks and cheese until smooth.
- 3. Press 1 pastry sheet into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate, allowing edges to hang over sides. Spoon mashed potatoes into pie plate, and top with remaining pastry sheet. Crimp and fold edges inward. Cut several slits in top of pastry for steam to escape. Whisk together egg and half-and-half; brush over pastry.
- 4. Bake at 425° for 24 minutes or until pastry is golden and has risen slightly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables