Very yummy and I didn't think that the prep time was that bad as someone else posted but then I was preparing other dishes at the same time so I didn't really notice. I couldn't find organic Yukon or red potatoes so I used organic russet, which seemed fine. I only had enough onion for 2 1/2 cups but it didn't seem to affect the flavor at all. Would definitely make again.
Mashed-Potato Cakes with Onions and Kale
Photo: Randy Mayor
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 246
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 5.1g
- Carbohydrate: 43.2g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 495mg
- Calcium: 87mg
- 12 cups water
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed (about 4 ounces)
- 2 2/3 cups (1-inch) cubed Yukon gold or red potato (about 1 pound)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
- 3 cups diced onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Sage sprigs (optional)
- Bring water to a boil in a Dutch oven; add kale. Cover and cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender. Remove kale with a slotted spoon, reserving cooking liquid. Chop kale and set aside.
- Add potato to reserved cooking liquid in pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Drain; partially mash potatoes. Stir in kale and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, diced onion, and chopped sage. Cook 13 minutes or until browned. Combine potato mixture, onion mixture, green onions, and pepper. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Divide potato mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place patties on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil patties for 5 minutes or until browned. Garnish with sage sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables