Mashed Celery Root and Potatoes
These are like mashed potatoes, but celery root adds an earthy flavor. And just like mashed potatoes, this recipe invites variations. Throw in fresh herbs, such as minced chives or rosemary, use a good olive oil in place of the butter, or substitute buttermilk or sour cream for milk. You can also add a handful of green peas for color. I happen to like potatoes lumpy, but if you like them very smooth, use a ricer or food mill. Prep: 10 minutes, Cook: 40 minutes.
- 4 small celery root bulbs, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or whole milk, warmed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Combine celery root and potato in a large saucepan; add water to cover, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, and simmer about 30 minutes or until tender. Drain vegetables, and return to pan. Add half-and-half and next 3 ingredients; mash to desired consistency. Stir in parsley. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note