Mary's Apple Cake
Notes: Using her great-grandmother's recipe, Cindy Davis sells this cake to River Bend Country Store customers.
Yield: Makes 12 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 318
- Calories from fat: 40%
- Protein: 3g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 8.6g
- Carbohydrate: 46g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Sodium: 318mg
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- About 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (3/8 lb.) plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups peeled, cored, and thinly sliced apples such as Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, or Newtown Pippin (about 1 1/4 lb. total)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a food processor or bowl, mix 2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- 2. Cut the 3/4 cup butter into small pieces and add to flour mixture. Whirl or cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture has texture of fine crumbs.
- 3. Beat milk and egg to blend. Pour into flour mixture and whirl or stir with a fork just to evenly moisten. On a lightly floured board, knead dough briefly until it holds together.
- 4. With floured hands, pat the dough evenly over bottom of a 9- by 13-inch pan and press edges up sides to form a slight ridge.
- 5. Place apple slices, overlapping slightly, in 3 rows down the length of the dough.
- 6. In a food processor or bowl, whirl or rub with your fingers the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, 1 cup sugar, and cinnamon until mixture has texture of fine crumbs. Sprinkle over apples.
- 7. Bake in the middle of a 350° oven until cake is browned, about 40 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve cake warm or cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts